Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Erotic Romance Author Hangs It Up

It is with a heavy heart that I must make this announcement. I will no longer be writing erotic romance. All the romance, hot sexual escapades and interludes are ruining my marriage.

I'm thinking maybe I'd be more qualified to write children's books. I've got a few ideas brewing and in the works. Maybe I could write poetry or coffee table books, too.

Decisions, decisions. I will find my niche, somewhere.....


I hope y'all didn't buy any of that. I'm about as qualified to write children's books as I am to be an astronaut! And as far as all the hot romance ruining my marriage....ha! It has only heated it up!

It's April Fools Day!


Being the geeky, history nut that I am, I wanted to know where and when this holiday originated and why. Here's what I found out.

Way back when....a long time ago, the new year may not have been January 1st like it is today. There was a time when spring was heralded as the beginning of a new year. With spring comes new life, new beginnings. Makes sense, huh?  Some researchers disagree and I'll explain.

The first theory holds that back around 1582 is where the change took place. The new year had been celebrated for eight days, starting on March 25th and culminating on April 1st. In France during that same year, and under the rule of Charles IX, big reforms took place, mainly our calendar. It was in that year the Gregorian calendar was put into place, changing the first day of the year from April 1st to January 1st. 

As one can imagine, the times were dark and news traveled very, very slowly. There were no televisions, radios, cell phones or internet. Nope, news went by courier and word of mouth. It should come as no surprise that the news traveled so slow in fact, people were still celebrating the beginning of the new year on April 1st, three years later! Others simply would not change their ways and adopt the new calendar. 

The people that either did not know or refused to accept the change became the ass of jokes and labeled as "fools". Jokes and pranks developed. Each year the tradition grew and grew until it spread from France into Scotland by the eighteenth century. 

Some time later, the holiday spread into the new world and other countries. Ever wonder where the "Kick Me" sign originated? In Scotland. There, the holiday was celebrated for two days, and the second day was devoted to pranks. It was/is called Taily Day.

Here's the but.......

Researchers claim that even before the Gregorian calendar was observed, people were celebrating the new year on January 1st and had been. The observance of April 1st was more a celebration of spring. 

They also claim that April Fool's Day originated further back in history. According to some, the Roman's came up with the wacky holiday. Court jesters had the idea to allow one person to be king for a day during the rule of Constatine I. 

Apparently, Constantine was hip to the idea and made his jester, King Kugel for a day.....that day was April 1st. During his one day rein, King Kugel made the decree that April 1st would be devoted to absurdity. 

Who is right? Both seem like plausible answers. 

Wherever or whenever this wacky holiday originated was met with many that loved the idea of having a day of silliness. It seems that even in the darkest of times, people just wanted to laugh and smile. 

When you play your own April Fool's Day pranks today, be sure to stop and think about the many generations who for thousands of years kept the fun alive.


1 comment:

  1. Holy moly! You had me for about three sentences and then I thought "no no, April Fools" and came across the children's book reference. LOL Nicely done, Hennessee.

    ReplyDelete