Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Can I steal from your paycheck, too?


Piracy is not a victimless crime. 

From the outside looking in, one would believe published authors are wealthy or well off. Let me tell you, that is untrue.

Many, if not thousands of authors work outside of the home and their writing. I am one of those. To be honest, I couldn't live off of what I make writing alone, and neither can the rest of us.

So, what's the big deal? Each and every time someone shares or downloads our books for free is yet another dollar that will never reach our accounts, our family. To those giving away the hard work of another, please tell me, when can I start taking from you? How would you feel if when you got your paycheck that you not only look forward to, but need, and find out its short???


I suspect you wouldn't like it one bit. Do you have any clue what it feels like to have your hard work pop up on various pirate sites? Let me tell you, it hurts.

First, there are literally thousands of books out there that are FREE. I've even wrote a couple myself. There is not a shortage of genuinely FREE books to read. So why do you do this???

You wouldn't want someone to STEAL from you?? Would you? What makes you believe that pirating books is not a crime? It is a CRIME.


If you have any respect or love for the authors you enjoy reading...STOP DOING THIS! You are hurting them!

The best advice I can give at this point is this, "If you wouldn't want it done to you, don't do it to someone else."

As a firm believer in Karma, I'll tell you that bad luck follows those who hurt others. It may not be today, tomorrow, or even a year from now, but believe me, it will come. Don't be surprised one day when bad shit starts coming your way.


Authors write because we love to write. We would also love to get paid for our hard work...wouldn't you?

If you like to get stuff for free, hey, join the crowd, and shop for books at reputable sites where the books say FREE, and are endorsed as such from the author. Go to Amazon right now and just type in FREE BOOKS. Hundreds if not thousands will pop up! Guess what?? Those free books are produced for free by the authors.

Many authors will agree to this: I can't wait for the day a pirate is caught and brought up on charges. I mean, I CAN'T WAIT! I'll dance like an idiot and cheer.

Pirating DOES hurt authors and is no different than any other type of theft. Don't be a dick.


No comments:

Post a Comment