Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

10 Reasons You Should Not Give Up and Ignore Naysayers


If I had any idea being an adult sucked so bad, I wouldn't have been in such a damn hurry to grow up. For some odd reason, I thought adults were cool, and could do whatever they wanted to, whenever they wanted to.

Damn, I was so misinformed!

Welcome adulthood, bills, a job (likely one you hate), children, mortgage, taxes, blah, blah. Where is the fun? What in the hell happened to doing what you want, when you want? Gah!

If you perhaps fell into life, married early, had children, bought a house, and woke up one day and thought, "What the feck happened?" You're not alone. Maybe you have a shit job, but need the damn thing. You're unsatisfied with it and numerous other aspects of life, well, join the crowd, you're not alone.

What to do?

Do you have a dream? If you had the opportunity to change anything, what would it be? Would you be happier if you were working toward your dream? What's stopping you?

Fear can be buckle us down into a certain way of life. Stepping outside of our comfort zone is scary as hell, but guess what? If you don't take a chance, you will never know true happiness or success, and by success, I don't mean riches, I mean the good stuff, the happy to wake and start a new day stuff.

Beware, pitfalls are everywhere, and you are your own worst enemy. Tell me something, how many lives do you have to live? Just one, huh? It seems to me one should make the most of it. Don't you?

Outside of yourself and the lead in your ass, others will throw boulders in your path. Not joking. These people will inhibit and you may not even realize they are doing it. Maybe its a mother in law that worries because she has nothing better to do. Risks! Be careful, don't take a chance! A bus may hit you or something equally as bad. Or, you may encounter the Negative Nancy's. These are the people you need to avoid like the plague. No matter what, this type of person can name a thousand ways you will fail. The problem with these people is that they won't take a chance and live, but they don't want you to either.

Negative people = a negative outlook

Let's face it, junior high didn't end in junior high. There will always be someone who will throw a stick in the spokes of your bike! Ignore them. If you want it, make it happen, because no one else will do it for you.

For me, I love to write. I'm not famous and I'm definitely not rich, but it makes me feel good. The high I get when I complete a book and put it out for the world to see is my accomplishment and I own it. Does that make sense to you? It should and I'll tell you why. The words my tiny little brain commits to paper is mine and no one can take that from me. I created it and no one else. That is an accomplishment and something I can be proud of. While my success doesn't equate to a large bank account, my inner me has become a millionaire. No joke. Coming from the wrong side of town, growing up so poor I can't even express it in one post, a high school dropout because I was bullied so much I got my GED my junior year in order to get the hell out of the drama, to a mother of two, wife of over seventeen years, college degree earner with multiple published books. Yeah, I'm a goldmine inside, because I overcame it all. I had the courage to TRY. If I fail, I try again! When I leave this world, no one, and I mean no one will be able to say I didn't try or I was lazy.

I don't care if writing is your goal or starting your own cupcake shop. It doesn't matter. Dreams are just dreams unless you make a commitment to TRY. What good are dreams if you don't make an attempt to make them come true?

I challenge you to dig into your "Bucket List" and pull out one, just one. Be proactive and TRY. Maybe you Pinterst your ass off and have a board full of things you want to do. DO ONE! The funny thing about success is that it breeds the desire for more. Today a coffee table re-do, tomorrow a cupcake shop. Who knows what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it.

Before you can offer up money as an excuse. Don't. Success isn't merely about money. Some of the richest people I know are monetarily poor. State of mind. Find your success for you and not your bank account. The rest will follow.

Borrowing a lot from my mother who gave all, did without, put up with more than any one person should endure, and could still find something positive to say, I developed my top ten list.

Drum roll, please....

1.  Can't never could do anything. *I don't tolerate my children to use the word "can't" If I said, "I can't." Guess what? I never would have accomplished anything. (My mom told me that thousands of times)

2. You can do anything you put your mind to. *Not joking. I told my mother over five years ago I wanted to write a book. Her response, "I have no doubt you will." (My mother beat the "You can do anything" statement into my head since I was a child)

3. Pretty is as pretty does. *Don't laugh, because this statement holds a lot of gold. (If on the outside you are pretty, either looks, money, doesn't matter, but on the inside you're asshole, you're really just an asshole and no one will want you to succeed or help you. In other words, pretty on the outside and ugly on the inside isn't a good quality. So don't be an asshole and pretend to be something else)

4. Don't expect the world to blow sunshine up your ass. *Your idea may suck, so its up to you to find a better one. Try, try, and try again. You can't please everyone, so don't expect it. Hone your craft.

5. Be genuine and sincere. *Really, if you say you will do something, do it. Accountability means A LOT, no matter what you are pursuing. Sincerity goes a long way as well. Be kind in your path to success and don't step on people. One day it may kick you in the teeth.

6. Avoid negative people. Negativity is passed on. *Negative people will only bring you down and ruin any positive thoughts or plans. Make it a point to respond to negative people with positive feedback. You may just change their outlook.

7. Be a good person. *Karma is the bitch that keeps on giving. I truly believe that what we put out comes back to us. And why not be kind? Nobody likes an asshole anyway.

8. If you fail at anything, try something else! *Not everyone can be an artist, a world class runner, or a grower of a Victory Garden! We all have a gift and it is up to us to find out what that is. (I love crafts, but holy hell, I fail 99% of the time. I just wasn't gifted to be a crafty bitch)

9. This is my favorite and a borrowed quote I saw somewhere. If they aren't fucking you, funding you, or paying your bills, their opinion doesn't matter! *Who cares what Sally Stuck Up thinks about what you are doing or what you want to accomplish. Flip her the bird and go on. It is YOUR life, and no one else's.

10. At the end of your time here on Earth, what kind of memory do you want? Would you like to look back and think, "I wish I would have....." *Step out and take on chance on something, anything!

Life is short. Make your days matter. If the only thing you want to accomplish is skydiving, go do it! We aren't promised tomorrow. Make your time here count and make your life something that makes you smile. Remember, success isn't measured by your bank account, but rather by the wealth of what makes you happy.






2 comments:

  1. Great post, Hennessee. The only line I'd add is "Never give up, never surrender." Your dreams are your own and they're valuable. Don't give them up for anything or anyone. :)

    ReplyDelete